Jerry P. Pendras, M.D.; Robert V. Erickson, M.D.; John S. Murray, M.D.
This content is PDF only. Please click on the PDF icon to access.
Twelve patients with chronic uremia are currently receiving hemodialysis therapy at the Seattle Artificial Kidney Center. All patients are hemodialyzed twice weekly. All patients are fitted with Silastic-teflon arteriovenous cannulae with an average lifetime of 1 year. Patient rehabilitation has been satisfactory in 75% of the cases; the remaining 25% are only partially rehabilitated. There have been no fatalities. Total experience to date is 24 patient years.
Numerous clinical problems have arisen in the course of therapy for these patients. Hypertension, a common problem, has been controlled with adequate ultrafiltration and sodium restriction. The arthropathy of chronic uremia that has
Jerry P. Pendras, Robert V. Erickson, John S. Murray. Hemodialysis: A Successful Therapy for Chronic Uremia.. Ann Intern Med. 1965;62:1095–1096. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-62-5-1095_3
Download citation file:
Published: Ann Intern Med. 1965;62(5):1095-1096.
Chronic Kidney Disease, Nephrology, Renal Replacement Therapy.
Results provided by:
Copyright © 2017 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
Print ISSN: 0003-4819 | Online ISSN: 1539-3704
Conditions of Use