This content is PDF only. Please click on the PDF icon to access.
Although glandula suprarenalis was first recognized as a separate anatomic entity in 1564 by Bartolommeo Eustachi in Rome, little or no importance was attached to the gland for almost 300 years until Thomas Addison gave an unsurpassed clinical description of adrenal insufficiency with the publication in London of On the Constitutional and Local Effects of Disease of the Suprarenal Capsules. In the next year, 1856, Charles E. Brown-Séquard showed that bilateral removal of the adrenal from animals invariably resulted in death. William Osler in 1895 noted improvement in patients with Addison's disease after they were given a glycerine extract of
Radiology of the Adrenals with Sonography and CT.. Ann Intern Med. 1982;97:807–808. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-97-5-807_2
Download citation file:
Published: Ann Intern Med. 1982;97(5):807-808.
Copyright © 2017 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
Print ISSN: 0003-4819 | Online ISSN: 1539-3704
Conditions of Use