MORTON S. SKORODIN, M.D.
To the editor: Carbon monoxide poisoning remains a serious problem, accounting for 3500 reported deaths per year in the United States (1). It will remain a problem as long as people attempt to lower their home heating expenses with insulation and the damping of furnace flues. We report a case of carbon monoxide poisoning that presented as hyperventilation syndrome (respiratory alkalosis).
An elderly, nonsmoking woman complained of weakness, shortness of breath, vomiting, and diarrrhea of several days' duration. She had been taking diuretics and a beta-blocker for treatment of hypertension. Postural hypotension was noted. Routine laboratory tests were normal; the
MORTON S. SKORODIN. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Presenting as Hyperventilation Syndrome. Ann Intern Med. 1986;105:632. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-105-4-632_1
Download citation file:
Published: Ann Intern Med. 1986;105(4):632.
Copyright © 2017 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
Print ISSN: 0003-4819 | Online ISSN: 1539-3704
Conditions of Use