Nina Singh, MD; Timothy Gayowski, MD; Victor L. Yu, MD; Marilyn M. Wagener, MPH
To assess the efficacy and safety of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole for the prevention of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis in patients with cirrhosis and ascites.
A randomized, controlled trial.
University-affiliated Veterans Affairs medical center.
60 consecutive patients with cirrhosis and ascites.
Consecutive patients were randomly assigned to receive either no prophylaxis or trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, one double-strength tablet daily, five times a week (Monday through Friday). Patient entry was stratified by serum bilirubin (>51 µmol/L [>3 mg/dL]), ascitic fluid protein (<1 g/dL), and serum creatinine (>177 µmol/L [>2 mg/dL]) levels to ensure that high-risk patients would be similarly distributed in the two groups. The median duration of follow-up for the study patients was 90 days.
Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis or spontaneous bacteremia as defined by objective criteria.
Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis or spontaneous bacteremia developed in 27% (8 of 30) of patients who did not receive prophylaxis compared with 3% (1 of 30) of patients receiving trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (P = 0.025). Overall, infections developed in 9 of 30 patients (30%) not receiving prophylaxis and in 1 of 30 patients (3%) receiving trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (P = 0.012). Death occurred in 6 of 30 patients (20%) who did not receive prophylaxis and in 2 of 30 patients (7%) who received trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (P = 0.15). Side effects—particularly, hematologic toxicity—could not be attributed to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole in any patient.
Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole was efficacious, safe, and cost-effective for the prevention of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis in patients with cirrhosis.
Nina Singh, Timothy Gayowski, Victor L. Yu, Marilyn M. Wagener. Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole for the Prevention of Spontaneous Bacterial Peritonitis in Cirrhosis: A Randomized Trial. Ann Intern Med. 1995;122:595–598. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-122-8-199504150-00007
Download citation file:
Published: Ann Intern Med. 1995;122(8):595-598.
Gastroenterology/Hepatology, Infectious Disease, Liver Disease.
Results provided by:
Copyright © 2017 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
Print ISSN: 0003-4819 | Online ISSN: 1539-3704
Conditions of Use