Various pathologists1, 2 have drawn attention recently to the increasing frequency with which adrenal atrophy is found as the causative lesion in Addison's disease. It was formerly estimated that atrophy was found in only about 10 per cent of the autopsies of cases of Addison's disease and tuberculosis of the adrenals in the other 90 per cent. However in recent years, as pointed out by Wells,1 series of cases have been reported in which atrophy was found in as high as from 30 to 50 per cent of the instances.
In Brenner's review of the subject he pointed out the
Learn more about subscription options.
Register Now for a free account.
ADRENAL ATROPHY AS A CAUSE OF ADDISON'S DISEASE. Ann Intern Med. 1937;11:559–560. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-11-3-559
Download citation file:
Published: Ann Intern Med. 1937;11(3):559-560.
Adrenal Disorders, Endocrine and Metabolism.
Results provided by:
Copyright © 2017 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
Print ISSN: 0003-4819 | Online ISSN: 1539-3704
Conditions of Use
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only