ZOLTON T. WIRTSCHAFTER, M.D.; RALPH WOLPAW, M.D.
Nitrobenzene, or Oil of Mirbane as it is known commercially, is a common solvent for a number of every day substances such as shoe polishes and dyes, lacquers, indelible inks, cheap perfumes, and a variety of other things. It is toxic to man by ingestion, direct contact, or inhalation or a combination of any of these avenues. Sollmann15 states that a dose of as little as one gram may be fatal. The symptoms and signs of poisoning are nausea, vomiting, prostration, intense gray blue cyanosis, convulsions, and coma (Sollmann). As with other benzene derivatives, there is a direct toxic effect
Learn more about subscription options.
Register Now for a free account.
WIRTSCHAFTER ZT, WOLPAW R. A CASE OF NITROBENZENE POISONING(A CASE OF NITROBENZENE POISONING*). Ann Intern Med. 1944;21:135–141. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-21-1-135
Download citation file:
Published: Ann Intern Med. 1944;21(1):135-141.
Results provided by:
Copyright © 2017 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
Print ISSN: 0003-4819 | Online ISSN: 1539-3704
Conditions of Use
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only