JOHN W. NORCROSS, M.D., F.A.C.P.; STANLEY E. MONROE, M.D.; BELTON G. GRIFFIN, M.D.
In 1876 Quincke1 first reported the occurrence of a carcinoma of the stomach in a patient suffering from pernicious anemia. It was not until the third decade of this century, however, that investigators began statistical studies of the incidence of gastric malignancy and premalignant lesions in large series of pernicious anemia cases. More recently, Rigler, Kaplan and Fink2 found that as high as 8 per cent of their pernicious anemia patients developed gastric carcinoma, and an additional 7 per cent had gastric polyps, making a total incidence of 15 per cent of their series with malignant or premalignant gastric lesions.
Learn more about subscription options.
Register Now for a free account.
NORCROSS JW, MONROE SE, GRIFFIN BG. THE DEVELOPMENT OF GASTRIC CARCINOMA IN PERNICIOUS ANEMIA(THE DEVELOPMENT OF GASTRIC CARCINOMA IN PERNICIOUS ANEMIA*). Ann Intern Med. 1952;37:338–343. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-37-2-338
Download citation file:
Published: Ann Intern Med. 1952;37(2):338-343.
Gastric Cancer, Gastroenterology/Hepatology, Gastrointestinal Cancer, Hematology/Oncology, Red Cell Disorders.
Copyright © 2017 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
Print ISSN: 0003-4819 | Online ISSN: 1539-3704
Conditions of Use
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only