ANN A. BROWDER, M.D., F.A.C.P.
In recent years sporadic cases of poisoning involving lead leached from glazes have been reported (1, 2). In 1970 two children in Montreal were poisoned, one of them fatally, by drinking apple juice stored in a handcrafted earthenware jug (3). The previous year all five members of a physician's family were seriously poisoned by lead from Mexican pottery (4). Affected children and adults have had symptoms with a puzzling lack of specificity, including anorexia, abdominal pains, change in bowel habits, fatigue, headache, and convulsions. In retrospect, all these complaints are quite characteristic of the disease.
The glazes responsible are the
Learn more about subscription options.
Register Now for a free account.
BROWDER AA. Lead Poisoning from Glazes. Ann Intern Med. 1972;76:665. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-76-4-665_1
Download citation file:
Published: Ann Intern Med. 1972;76(4):665.
Results provided by:
Copyright © 2017 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
Print ISSN: 0003-4819 | Online ISSN: 1539-3704
Conditions of Use
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only