GLENN R. HODGES, M.D.; JORDAN N. FINK, M.D., F.A.C.P.; DONALD P. SCHLUETER, M.D.
A patient with hypersensitivity pneumonitis caused by a contaminated cool-mist vaporizer, a previously unreported association, is presented. Although several fungal and bacterial organisms were isolated from the vaporizer, the specific antigen to which the patient was sensitive was not identified. Further evaluation suggested that an insoluble, particulate antigen not related to the microorganisms isolated from the vaporizer was the causal agent. This case reemphasizes the need to suspect hypersensitivity pneumonitis in all patients with "recurrent pneumonia."
Learn more about subscription options.
Register Now for a free account.
HODGES GR, FINK JN, SCHLUETER DP. Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis Caused by a Contaminated Cool-Mist Vaporizer. Ann Intern Med. 1974;80:501-504. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-80-4-501
Download citation file:
Published: Ann Intern Med. 1974;80(4):501-504.
Interstitial Lung Disease, Pulmonary/Critical Care.
Results provided by:
Copyright © 2017 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
Print ISSN: 0003-4819 | Online ISSN: 1539-3704
Conditions of Use
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only