N. DABIR VAZIRI, M.D.; PEARL JEMINSON-SMITH, R.N.; ARCHIE F. WILSON, M.D., Ph.D.
VAZIRI ND, JEMINSON-SMITH P, WILSON AF. Hemorrhagic Pneumonitis After Intravenous Injection of Charcoal Lighter Fluid. Ann Intern Med. 1979;90:794-795. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-90-5-794
Download citation file:
Published: Ann Intern Med. 1979;90(5):794-795.
Accidental and suicidal ingestion of charcoal lighter fluid is encountered with increasing frequency due to the rising popularity of outdoor cooking. Poisoning with intravenous administration of this product in man has not, however, been reported previously. Bratton and Haddow (1) showed that intravenous injection of naphtha (the main ingredient of charcoal and cigarette lighter fluids) into rats produces severe hemorrhagic pneumonitis without significant hepatic abnormalities. Injection of small amounts of naphtha into the portal vein, on the other hand, causes severe hepatic necrosis with no pulmonary involvement. They, therefore, concluded that naphtha injected intravenously causes injury to the capillary or
Learn more about subscription options.
Register Now for a free account.
Infectious Disease, Pulmonary/Critical Care, Pneumonia.
Results provided by:
Copyright © 2016 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
Print ISSN: 0003-4819 | Online ISSN: 1539-3704
Conditions of Use
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only