ROBERT SHESSER, M.D.; DOUGLAS DIXON, M.D.; YORKE ALLEN, M.D.; JOYCE MITCHELL, M.D.; SOL EDELSTEIN, M.D.
To the editor: Horne and colleagues (1) have reported a case of clinically apparent methemoglobinemia in a patient who was partially (NADH)-methemoglobin reductase deficient after inhaling an over-the-counter "room odorizer" preparation containing butyl nitrite. The reported patient complained only of a "grayish" hue and was otherwise asymptomatic. We have recently seen a fatal case that resulted from ingestion of such a preparation.
A 30-year-old man was brought to our department by the police at 0200 h after being found lethargic on a park bench. He had been seen earlier at a discotheque with a brown bottle. At initial examination, the
Learn more about subscription options.
Register Now for a free account.
SHESSER R, DIXON D, ALLEN Y, MITCHELL J, EDELSTEIN S. Fatal Methemoglobinemia from Butyl Nitrite Ingestion. Ann Intern Med. 1980;92:131–132. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-92-1-131_2
Download citation file:
Published: Ann Intern Med. 1980;92(1):131-132.
Copyright © 2017 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
Print ISSN: 0003-4819 | Online ISSN: 1539-3704
Conditions of Use
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only