JOHN W. GNANN, M.D.; GARRETT S. BRESSLER, M.D.; C. ADRIEN BODET, M.D.; C. KIRK AVENT, M.D.
In the southeastern and central areas of the United States, Blastomyces dermatitidis is a well-recognized cause of infection in dogs as well as humans. Despite close contact between humans and infected dogs, no instance of zoonotic transmission of blastomycosis has previously been documented. We report a case of human blastomycosis that resulted from the bite of an infected dog.
A 35-year-old white female veterinary assistant was bitten on the left hand by a severely ill German shepherd. The dog, which had a recent history of weight loss and respiratory distress, subsequently died. The patient's wounds improved over 3 weeks, except
Learn more about subscription options.
Register Now for a free account.
GNANN JW, BRESSLER GS, BODET CA, AVENT CK. Human Blastomycosis After a Dog Bite. Ann Intern Med. 1983;98:48-49. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-98-1-48
Download citation file:
Published: Ann Intern Med. 1983;98(1):48-49.
Emergency Medicine, Infectious Disease.
Results provided by:
Copyright © 2017 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
Print ISSN: 0003-4819 | Online ISSN: 1539-3704
Conditions of Use
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only