0

The full content of Annals is available to subscribers

Subscribe/Learn More  >
Articles |

Medical Management of Aldosterone-Producing Adenomas

Ranjan P. Ghose, MD; Phillip M. Hall, MD; and Emmanuel L. Bravo, MD
[+] Article and Author Information

From Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio.


Acknowledgments: The authors thank Henry Rolin for statistical analysis and Sandra Stevens for manuscript assistance.

Requests for Reprints: Phillip M. Hall, MD, Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Desk A101, Cleveland, Ohio 44195; e-mail, hallpm@ccf.org.

Current Author Addresses: Drs. Ghose, Hall, and Bravo: Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Desk A101, Cleveland, Ohio 44195.


Ann Intern Med. 1999;131(2):105-108. doi:10.7326/0003-4819-131-2-199907200-00005
Text Size: A A A

Primary aldosteronism represents 0.05% to 2.2% of all cases of hypertension (1). Primary aldosteronism is characterized by hypertension, hypokalemia, reduced plasma renin activity, and increased plasma aldosterone levels (2). The most common causes of primary aldosteronism are aldosterone-producing adenomas, which account for approximately 60% of all cases, and bilateral adrenal hyperplasia or idiopathic hyperplasia, which account for the remaining 40% (3). Traditionally, the treatment choice for aldosterone-producing adenomas has been surgical excision; medical therapy is used to manage blood pressure and hypokalemia associated with idiopathic hyperplasia (4).

Topics

aldosterone ; adenoma

First Page Preview

View Large
First page PDF preview

Figures

Tables

References

Letters

NOTE:
Citing articles are presented as examples only. In non-demo SCM6 implementation, integration with CrossRef’s "Cited By" API will populate this tab (http://www.crossref.org/citedby.html).

Comments

Submit a Comment
Submit a Comment

Summary for Patients

Clinical Slide Sets

Terms of Use

The In the Clinic® slide sets are owned and copyrighted by the American College of Physicians (ACP). All text, graphics, trademarks, and other intellectual property incorporated into the slide sets remain the sole and exclusive property of the ACP. The slide sets may be used only by the person who downloads or purchases them and only for the purpose of presenting them during not-for-profit educational activities. Users may incorporate the entire slide set or selected individual slides into their own teaching presentations but may not alter the content of the slides in any way or remove the ACP copyright notice. Users may make print copies for use as hand-outs for the audience the user is personally addressing but may not otherwise reproduce or distribute the slides by any means or media, including but not limited to sending them as e-mail attachments, posting them on Internet or Intranet sites, publishing them in meeting proceedings, or making them available for sale or distribution in any unauthorized form, without the express written permission of the ACP. Unauthorized use of the In the Clinic slide sets will constitute copyright infringement.

Toolkit

Buy Now

to gain full access to the content and tools.

Want to Subscribe?

Learn more about subscription options

Advertisement
Related Articles
Related Point of Care
Topic Collections
PubMed Articles

Buy Now

to gain full access to the content and tools.

Want to Subscribe?

Learn more about subscription options

Forgot your password?
Enter your username and email address. We'll send you a reminder to the email address on record.
(Required)
(Required)