In 1948, when the state of Israel was established, Jerusalem was divided between Israel and Jordan, not through any deep reflective process, but merely because of the positions of the opposing armies at the time. Consequently, Mount Scopus, the location of the Hebrew University campus, established on 1 April 1925, and Hadassah University hospital, became an Israeli enclave in the midst of an Arab population. But a university and a hospital could not function under these conditions. Consequently, they were moved to the western part of the city. Since 1967, however, Israel assumed control of East Jerusalem, and the hospital on Mount Scopus was reopened. The Hebrew University returned to the mountain as well. Still, the surrounding population remained mostly Arab. Today, a hospital in which 90% of the staff is Jewish serves a mostly Arab community.