JOHN B. LEVAN, M.D., F.A.C.P.
This content is PDF only. Please click on the PDF icon to access.
1. This study discusses the factors concerned with dicoumarol therapy.
2. The initial dosage and a practical way of estimating maintenance dosage are shown.
3. The daily plasma prothrombin times, factors affecting them, and the need for dependable laboratory technic are emphasized.
4. The variation in degree of response, the lag period, and the therapeutic level are discussed.
5. Hemorrhage the only toxic manifestation of dicoumarol, is considered, and the methods of treatment are stated.
6. The contraindications are listed.
7. The results of therapy in 60 patients including 13 cases of pulmonary embolism are discussed.
The rationale for dicoumarol
LEVAN JB. DICOUMAROL THERAPY1. Ann Intern Med. ;25:941–949. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-25-6-941
Download citation file:
Published: Ann Intern Med. 1946;25(6):941-949.
Cardiology, Hospital Medicine.
Results provided by:
Copyright © 2019 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
Print ISSN: 0003-4819 | Online ISSN: 1539-3704
Conditions of Use