DAVID A. LIEBERMAN, M.D.; EMMET B. KEEFFE, M.D.
This content is PDF only. Please click on the PDF icon to access.
To the editor: The microwave oven is now a common fixture in private homes and public eating facilities. Medical problems from the use of microwave ovens are unusual, although patients with implanted cardiac pacemakers have been cautioned to avoid proximity (1). The dangers of swallowing overheated food products have been briefly noted (2). We wish to report a case of this thermal hazard.
A healthy, 22-year-old man heated a jelly roll in an unfamiliar microwave oven for 2 minutes. He swallowed a large bite of the roll after the exterior pastry has cooled. He immediately felt severe burning of his
LIEBERMAN DA, KEEFFE EB. Esophageal Burn and the Microwave Oven. Ann Intern Med. 1982;97:137. doi: https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-97-1-137
Download citation file:
Published: Ann Intern Med. 1982;97(1):137.
Copyright © 2020 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
Print ISSN: 0003-4819 | Online ISSN: 1539-3704
Conditions of Use