JOEL TSEVAT, M.D.; GARY N. GROSS, M.D.; GRAEME P. DOWLING, M.D.
This content is PDF only. Please click on the PDF icon to access.
To the editor: Allergy to sulfite preservatives is common among asthmatics—as many as 5% to 11% are sulfite-sensitive (1, 2). Fourteen deaths have been precipitated by the ingestion of sulfite-containing foods (1). We report the case of an asthmatic who had a fatal anaphylactic reaction after drinking a glass of wine high in sulfite content. We believe this is the first report of a fatal anaphylactic reaction to wine.
A 33-year-old man first developed asthma in 1976 at age 24. He soon required chronic steroid therapy (prednisone, 20 mg/d), theophylline (1200 mg/d), inhaled beta-agonists, and cromolyn sodium. Despite the severity
TSEVAT J, GROSS GN, DOWLING GP. Fatal Asthma After Ingestion of Sulfite-Containing Wine. Ann Intern Med. 1987;107:263. doi: https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-107-2-263_2
Download citation file:
Published: Ann Intern Med. 1987;107(2):263.
Copyright © 2020 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
Print ISSN: 0003-4819 | Online ISSN: 1539-3704
Conditions of Use