Alan M. Fogelman, MD
A strategy is proposed for attracting trainees to careers in general internal medicine coupled with a program that attracts a smaller number of trainees to research careers without attracting trainees into careers in the practice of the subspecialties.A novel training track analogous to the Medical Scientist Training Program, the Specialty Training and Academic Research (STAR) Program has been established. It is anticipated that within the next 5 years, 80% of the trainees in the department of medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, Medical Center will be training for practice in general internal medicine; the remaining 20% will be enrolled in the STAR Program.
Fogelman AM. Strategies for Training Generalists and Subspecialists. Ann Intern Med. 1994;120:579–583. doi: https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-120-7-199404010-00009
Download citation file:
Published: Ann Intern Med. 1994;120(7):579-583.
Education and Training, Healthcare Delivery and Policy.
Results provided by:
Copyright © 2020 American College of Physicians. All Rights Reserved.
Print ISSN: 0003-4819 | Online ISSN: 1539-3704
Conditions of Use